Chelsea Forest School strives to create a community of resilient, active children, empowered by valuing, enjoying and being curious about their natural and social surroundings.
We run five different classes/programs depending on the age of the child:
- Tuesday/Thursday mornings for children aged 3-4, from 8:30-11:30 am.
- Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings for children aged 3-4, from 8:30-11:30am.
- Monday/Wednesday/Friday afternoons for children aged 4 yrs old by December 31st, from 1:00-4:00pm.
- The Family Drop Ins are for the whole family. Come experience Forest School with your little ones every Tuesday RAIN or SHINE from 9:30 to 11:30. It’s $15 for one child, $20 for two children and $25 for a family with up to 5 children. Contact us for more information.
- The School Age program is suitable for 5-10 year olds who are home schooled or those who wish to combine Forest School programming with the traditional school environment. This program is offered one day a week when there is sufficient interest.
- The After School Program is for students of Chelsea Elementary and are on Tuesdays from 2:45-5:15p.m.
Winter session: January 17 to March 28, 2017 (10 weeks) – $200 per child
Spring session: April 4 to June 13, 2017 (11 weeks) – $220 per child
There is no class on February 28 due to March Break
- The PD Day program is offered as a half-day or full-day on the following dates: French Board (February 6 & 17, March 31, April 7, May 1, 2017) and English Board (February 14, March 24, May 26 and June 2, 2017). The FULL day runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. ($40) and the HALF day runs from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. OR 1 to 4 p.m. ($20).
A Bilingual Outdoor School
Our goal is to have one English and one French speaking teacher in addition to the duty parent in each class. Classes with 6 or fewer students will have only 1 teacher and a duty parent. Together, we learn to be comfortable away from mom and dad, to share materials and ideas with a group of our peers , to wait for our turn, get our needs met by adults other than our parents, and to solve conflicts using our words.
Our curriculum is play-based and uses the Forest School model. We learn to be comfortable outdoors in all weather and circumstances, building our resilience, and love of nature. We learn to work together as a team and trust each other, developing our self-confidence, problem solving skills, emotional intelligence, creativity and social skills while taking supported risks in a developmentally appropriate manner.
The challenges undertaken by the class depends on the maturity and the ability of the children in the class. A class may even be subdivided so that kids with similar interests can thrive.
Along the way, we develop our math skills by counting, observing and making patterns, sorting, and measuring. Language skills are developed through story telling, rhyming, descriptive words, and simple day to day use and exposure.
Special events include field trips, a Halloween party, a Christmas show, and an end of the year beach party.
What Are the Mission and Goals of Our Nursery School?
Mission: We provide accessible innovative outdoor early childhood education that is play-based and child-led.
Goals: Our dedicated early childhood educators and committed parents strive to:
- Cultivate an early love of nature and interest in all aspects of their own local natural surroundings.
- Foster our students’ competence , self-confidence, and eagerness to safely explore and enjoy the outdoors.
- Provide pre-school children with an opportunity to meet and enjoy their peers and to learn how to operate in a group setting with respect, cooperation, patience, and listening skills.
- Ensure a relevant and sustainable future for the school through relationships with parents, other organizations, and the broader community.
- Promote among parents and the broader community the notion that being active and taking supported risks outside is critical to children’s social, physical and emotional development and prepares them for learning throughout life.